Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Lovely Danica



 
Hi all! My name is Danica and I keep tabs over at my own itty bitty blog called "The Rugg's." Real creative, right? I'm honored to be posting here today on Liz's blog because I think she is utterly wonderful and an incredible roll model. But who are we kidding, you already know that.

 via

I had a few different ideas of what to post about today, but when I sat down tonight to type this out, it didn't exactly go as planned. Simply because today has whole heartedly been one of those "don't poke the beast" days. I'll be the first to admit it, I'm in a pity-party, grouchy mood. Yuck. But as I was (finally) rocking my (also grouchy) sweet little girl to sleep I realized I had just wasted an entire day on being grumpy and shutting out those around me. And personally, I don't like that feeling. I tried to remind myself of some of the goals I made at the beginning of this year and decided from that moment on to choose happiness. It's amazing the kind of inspiration that comes to you when you open yourself up to choosing things like love and happiness in your life.

 via

So this brings me to something wonderful that my sister and I came up with in high school. I don't remember where we got the idea, or who told us to do it, but we started what we call our "Happiness Is" journals. Its a way to quickly and easily write down the things in your day-to-day life that make you happy. There are some obvious ones in there like "getting married to my best friend" or "new born babies," but my favorite ones are those that are easily overlooked if you don't take the time to notice. Here are a few of mine:

Blue raspberry blow pops
A good yoga class
The Ellen Show
Smelling his cologne on your shirt the next day
Office supplies
Sour Patch fruits
Shampooing/conditioning short hair for the first time (Have you tried that??)
Catching fireflies
30 Rock quotes
the smell/color of onions and green peppers in a frying pan
side dishes at BBQ's
Cardigans
Apple juice & ice on an airplane
Kitty pictures
Saving the chicken pot pie crust till last

Do you get the idea? It's so easy but it makes a huge difference on your outlook and how you choose to look at things. Not to mention it's a great reminder on those grumpy days to find the little things that make you happy (even when your kid refuses to sleep). Try it out! See what you think, and let me know how it goes.

Thanks Liz for letting me hang out here for the day!




2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow, my day went the same as yours. That is such a great idea to do. I am starting a Happiness Is Journal, toooday! Thanks :)

steph said...

You too are also amazing Dani! Thanks for posting this great reminder for me. I could probably benefit from reading this everyday :)