Thursday, November 3, 2011

40 Dishes in 40 Days - PIES!


Yes, you read the title right...
I made PIES!
I grew up on some of the most delicious pies ever made.
For every birthday my mother slaved away on pies.  She would make whatever kind(s) the birthday girl/boy requested.  And if she had never made that specific flavor before, she would make it anyway.  And it always turned out fabulous.
Anyway, my wonderful mother had a birthday of her own in October so I attempted to make her favorite pies.
But, because I was busy pulling my hair out and wondering what in the world I got myself into, this is the only picture I took.


The flavors were Lemon Meringue and Pecan.
And I also made a chocolate pudding pie with store-bought Oreo crust for the littles who don't appreciate a good, old fashioned, piece of pie.

I followed this recipe for the Lemon Meringue Pie.
And this recipe for the Pecan Pie.
And this recipe for the pie crust.
Dang that pie crust.
As for the pudding pie... just buy a package of oreo crust and a box of pudding at the store and prepare pudding as instructed on the side of the package (there are instructions on the side specifically for when you're using the pudding for a pie- it's just a little less milk).  Add pudding to crust and add cool whip. And that's that.


Overall they turned out good.
In the future I will stab the pie crusts repeatedly with a fork (sounds morbid but my mom swears by it) prior to baking to keep them from shrinking.




1 comment: