Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oak Mantle Fireplace Re-do, DIY

Some of you know that we recently bought a house.
We are currently in the process of turning that house into our home.
We (by "we" I mean "I" because my husband wants nothing to do with it) are making changes one by one, on our own, with a budget of pretty much nothing.
I will do what I can to share these projects with you, starting today.. with the fireplace.
I was inspired by Centsational Girl's oak mantle re-do, though I did things a little differently.
I am not a fan of the light oak color and sadly, it's all over our house so I've got my work cut out for me.

BEFORE...


AFTER...

 and here's a little of the process...

This had to go.







Sanding...


 Priming...

 Painted!
(after one coat of oil-based primer and two coats of oil-based paint)
I purchased some black "high heat" paint to paint the gold trim on the fireplace but I ended up being able to just unscrew the gold trim and remove it! Awesome!
If I had extra money I would replace the purple tile. No money = Purple tile stays.
The carpet WILL get replaced someday.
For now, I like how it turned out.  I am really liking the newly painted walls as well. :)



The decor is temporary until I find something I love more. 
I'm thinking of hanging something on the wall above, I just don't have the perfect item yet.

 Black Vase: Market in Mexico, Pot and Books: Yard Sales, Carved brown vase: Market in China, White vase and flowers: Michael's, Tall Vase and plant: Tai Pan Trading (clearance sale)

  What do you think?


Linked Up:
Transformation Thursday

HouseofHepworths


Show and Tell Green







Furniture Feature FridaysSavvy Southern Style






giveaways

Lovely Crafty Home504 Main


13 comments:

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Craft Edition said...

looks great - a little paint can make a huge difference~

Marc and Heidi said...

It's beautiful! Much better! You are amazing! I still need to call someone about being able to put the papers in the office. I asked the office and they gave me another number. Aand my baby anyway with my grandma's funeral, andmy baby being born it got put on the back burner. Still thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Liz- I LOVE it!!! You did an amazing job - definitely a GREAT transformation. I think for above the mantle a cool mirror (maybe black) would be a good piece... just a thought -- fav places to look are tj maxx and ross - I've found some awesome things there :). Can't wait to see more!

Amy

The Mecham Family said...

I love it! Great job! i even like the tile!

Natalie and Nathan said...

I love how it turned out! Too cute!

Cassie said...

So Pretty! You have great taste. :)

The Dayleys said...

I love it!! I have tons of light brown wood in our house and am dying to get rid of it!! Beautifully done!! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your DIY projects!

Julia said...

I love it! I think it looks great, even with the existing tile. I love DIY projects. PS>.. check out my blog tomorrow I'm posting a window idea that Darren is going to start doing for CHEAP. You might be interested if everything in your house is oak...

LowCountryLiving said...

I picked you for the Stylish Blogger Award! You can go to my blog and get a copy of the award (copy and paste the award button)along with instructions.

Cristie said...

The mantel looks sooo much better painted. Amazing what paint can do.

the cape on the corner said...

that looks great-good for you doing it all by yourself! i do it all by myself, but that really just means the boyfriend. i'm the decor person, he's the doer!

Shelly said...

What a great transformation! Best part? You did it yourself! Well, maybe the best part is that you were simply able to remove the gold trim. That would have made me laugh, especially if I had already bought the paint! :) Popping over from Naturally Me Creations.

Molly said...

My sister rocks. You are way too awesome! You should decorate my first house too...seriously. And Mason's gift to you is so funny! CUTE! I miss you Lizzie.