Monday, January 17, 2011

DIY Play Kitchen


My boys are always getting into pots, pans, spatulas and everything else they can get their hands on in the kitchen.  I think it's their effort to "help."
So, for Christmas I decided that I would build them a kitchen of their own.
Luckily my sister had a piece of furniture that was perfect for the job.
After several trips to Lowe's and Home Depot and with some help from my Papa and Davey, here it is, my little kitchen..

(sorry I don't have a "before" picture)

 The magnet containers on the left side and the pots, pans, strainer, cutting board and the utensils at the top are all from IKEA. I love IKEA.

Below is the fridge.  Most of the food is from IKEA as well.  Did I mention how much I love IKEA?
The huge peppers are a little out of place but my boys LOVE them, so they will stay.

I really wanted an oven for this little kitchen so we changed the hinges, cut out a window, added some plexiglass and there you have it, an oven.
The stove burners are coasters, spray painted black.

 For the wall behind the shelves I bought some textured wallpaper and painted it turquoise.

We cut holes for the faucet and sink.
I've had several people ask me if water runs from that faucet..
Seriously? No. It doesn't run.  I would have to be a crazy person to willingly build a kitchen with plumbing and running water for 2 itty bitty children.

Don't you kinda want to cook in this kitchen?  I do.



9 comments:

rebecca said...

shut up. you are the cutest mom ever.

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Craft Edition said...

Thanks for linking up to Take-A-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Craft Edition - I featured you today! - Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

Amy (naptimecrafters) said...

Love this!! Maybe someday I'll get around to making one:) Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

Ann Marie | white house, black shutters said...

Seriously? This only has three comments?!? This is a pretty sweet kitchen, I bet your boys love it. :) I made one for my daughter for Christmas as well, and oh how I love IKEA food. :)

Have a great night!

linda @ CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Lizzie,
ADORABLE! So cute! and I love that it is gender neutral. My lil man loves cooking in the kitchen, but most kitchens are girlie....
happy crafting!
Linda

Jessica Sorensen said...

I love this kitchen. Maybe someday I will find the perfect piece of furniture to use. I'm super excited to be competing with you in American Crafters (and a little intimidated too).
Jessica-Mommy Creations

Ashley Tremaine said...

This is an incredible kitchen!! You are so talented and I am nervous to compete against you in the AC competition!! Love your blog!

Stacy said...

AMAZING! I love this so much! Every little detail is wonderful. Great pictures too. Thank you so much for linking up!

Amanda said...

I've put together a round up of some fun play kitchens on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-cool-play-kitchens/

If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/